Step II, 4th, 5th, 6th Grade
Collaborative project The children propose questions/ problems about their surrounding environment The projects are chosen by consensus and every child chooses their own role. These may also be run in smaller groups. At this stage, the different stages of the project process are known well be the children and their are encouraged to be independent in the planning process.
- To be able to clearly share personal areas of interest and concern
- To identify steps in their learning generated by the completion of a project
- To be capable of working in small groups or a larger group
- To ask for help when necessary
- To know how to ask for help at an opportune moment
- To follow a learning process independently using models and prior knowledge
- To know which are the relevant reference tools to use and where to look for information
- To know what is easy and difficult for them and in what areas they need to improve
- To be able to realize a project outcome in a group
- To be able to receive constructive criticism, both positive and negative
Class days :Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday + Wednesday morning from 6th Grade Class hours :8:30am to 3:30pm (welcome at 8:00am) + 8:30am to 12:00pm
In German, the pupils discover a new language, beginning their studies in the 5th grade. The children's previous experience in English facilitates their learning and enables them to make links between the two languages.
The objectives at the end of the 8th grade are those of the Romand Program of Study. They must acquire and develop the skills, which enable them to understand short texts, simple stories, game rules, letters and forms. They must have a certain vocabulary and be able to identify certain language characteristics and patterns. They must be able to react to a given situation by expressing themselves in clear sentences.
At the end of their education at La Découverte, the children take the Reference Cantonal exam in German. Our German teachers are all native speakers.
From the Romand Program Study
Read the objectives in French or :Extract from the PER (pdf)
Parent meeting with pupil and teacher in November and May
More information in Evaluation
End of Step II
- Internal tests in French and in English
- Parent meeting at the end of the 6th grade, followed by a written report
The angle we propose is to use technology to enhance teaching and learning and to bring greater value to our teaching, while enabling children to be at ease in an environement of constantly evolving technology. These tools are integral to our way of teaching and learning which prioritises investigation, experimentation, creation, innovation, exchange and cooperation.
The types of technologies may vary according to the projects that are proposed. It may involve creative play, technical development in robotics (using lego mindstorm, Wedo), development of programming knowledge (scratch, sketch-up), using different presentation and research tools (tablets, interactive whiteboards, cameras, interactive projectors etc). We will also integrally promote awareness of how to use technology safely and mindfully.
The Class Teachers and Information Technology Teacher work collaboratively so that the technology objectives are integrated into the program of study.
Philosophy in the classroom.
At La Découverte, it is considered essential to introduce, gradually, the practice of philosophy with the children as a way of building coherent arguments, nourishing critical reflexion and constructing thought processes.
As philosophy is key for developing critical thought, creative though, self-confidence and social skills, there has been growing interest in the practice of philosophy with children because of its contribution to the development of autonomous, free, responsible individuals.