Cycle I, which combines 3 years old class and 1st grade (4 years old), are the two years during which the pedagogy of our school is set in motion.
More information can be found in Pedagogy
Days at school: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday Class hours: 8:45am - 3:30pm (children are welcomed at 8am)
Percentage of teaching in French and English: 50% / 50%
Due to the immersion teaching approach, the children are exposed to different aspects of the English language: social, cultural, linguistic, academic etc. The main goal is to allow the pupils to develop their knowledge in both languages simultaneously, rather than having to translate. The result of this is that progress is not linear or systematic. Little by little, the children are capable of spending the day at school using their second language as a means of communication rather than a subject that they have been taught.
A typical day
- Welcome to the children and performing the rituals of the day around their names, the date, the weather, etc…
- What's new? A child will present something that is important to them to the group once or twice during the day
- Facilitation of a variety of workshops including learning games, games of construction, handwriting, logic, reading preparation activities.etc…
- Playtime and snack
- A time of coming together and sharing children's literature
- Siesta or time of relaxation
- A class outing
- In rotation, returning in groups to the morning's activities
Knowledge of their surroundings
A. To act and interact with the animal, vegetable and mineral world
B. To act with people, their means of communication and expression:
- The French Language
- A second language: English
- The language of Mathematics
- Multiple languages
C. To act and interact with material objects:
- Physical knowledge of material objects
- Social knowledge of material objects
Knowledge of self
A. To act and interact with one's body
B. To act and interact with thoughts, feelings and dreamsMore information (pdf)
Artistic, cultural and environmental education:
- School, a place of culture for young people
- Culture, the source of knowledge and learning
Parent meetings with pupil and teacher in November and May
More information can be found in Evaluation
End of cycle report
The parent meeting at the end of Cycle I is based on a written report, which is sent to the parents
La Découverte has a rich and varied library with more than five thousand books, appropriate for children of every age. It is full of children's picture books, non-fiction and young fiction and enables each child to broaden their horizons by borrowing one or two books each week. Our Librarians, French and English, give advice and guide the children according to the pupil's tastes and interests.
Alongside the loaning of books, the school library runs activity workshops around books, particular authors or subjects that are chosen by the librarians and the class teachers and are held once a week.
Year on year, the school library is enriching its collection of English books and adding to the number of workshop sessions that are offered to the children in English.
Another project based on languages: lChildren aged 4-7 years old are able to borrow a "story bag" in order to discover a story in Spanish, Italian, Mandarin, Arabic, Russian, Japanese or other languages and to involve all the family in activities based on the story. These various languages are spoken in the school and allow the children to explore new cultures and create links with the languages they already speak.